Andy Lax has served as a mediator and arbitrator since 1998 when he was certified as a North Carolina Superior Court Mediator. His extensive litigation and mediation experience allows him to see both sides of a dispute in seeking a resolution. As an arbitrator, he is often selected to be the third, neutral, arbitrator on three-person panels.
Andy has also worked as a litigation attorney for more than 30 years, handling cases for both plaintiffs and defendants in all North Carolina courts and all federal district courts in the state. He has taken over 200 hundred cases to jury verdicts. His cases have included a wide variety of litigation areas, including construction, business, insurance, contract, serious personal injury, wrongful death, medical and professional malpractice, and others.
Andy joined Miles Mediation in April 2021. He is also a litigation attorney with Michael Best & Friedrich LLP, in its Charlotte office.
- Wake Forest University School of Law, J.D.,1985
- The College of William & Mary, B.A., 1977
Admitted to Practice
- All North Carolina courts, 1985
- Federal District Court for the Western District of North Carolina, 1985
- Federal District Court for the Middle District of North Carolina, 1990
- Federal District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina, 1996
- Federal Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals, 1987
- United States Supreme Court, 2008
Honors and Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America
- North Carolina Super Lawyers
- Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory – AV rating.
- Mecklenburg County Public Broadcasting Authority (Board Chairman 2006)