Kay began a legal career in 1985 with the law firm known then as Page, Scrantom, Harris & Chapman, P.C. in Columbus, Georgia. Kay practiced in the areas of insurance defense – personal injuries of multiple types, including automobile, premises liability, and medical malpractice – as well as the handling of insurance coverage issues.
In 1992, she joined the law firm of Smith, Welch & Studdard, now known as Smith, Welch, Webb & White. Her practice consisted of a more general practice, but also extended to insurance defense of personal injury cases and representing plaintiffs in personal injury cases. In 1994, Kay joined Sharon W. Ware & Associates (now known as Lynn Leonard & Associates), where she practiced as in-house counsel for various State Farm companies for twenty-one years. In her 30+ years of practice, she tried in excess of 150 cases (in numerous Georgia venues), including the defense of personal injury cases of multiple kinds, plaintiffs’ personal injury cases, and declaratory judgment actions. Kay joined Miles Mediation in 2015.
Mercer University, 1979
- Triple majors – B.S. in biology and B.A. in political science and history
- Worked as a medical laboratory technologist while attending Mercer on a full scholarship
- Member of Alpha Gamma Delta sorority
Mercer University Walter F. George School of Law, 1985
- Graduated in top one-third of class
- Continued to work as a medical laboratory technologist until 1984
- Clerked for the law firm of Jones, Cork & Miller in Macon, Georgia, 1984-1985
Admitted to Practice
Sworn in for practice in all Georgia courts and in the federal district courts in Georgia in 1985.
Professional or Trade Affiliations
- State Bar of Georgia
- Certified Mediator, Georgia Office of ADR