Throughout his legal career, Matt Thiry has combined his business and technology backgrounds, legal acumen, and strong advocacy to assist clients in litigation. Matt understands that lawsuits are a disruption to the day-to-day affairs of litigants and require the redirection of time and resources. He looks at ADR as an instrument to help businesses resolve their disputes efficiently so they can return their focus to their core business. Matt combines these experiences and understanding to either assist litigants resolve their disputes through mediation or to decide disputes through arbitration. Matt has also served as a Superior Court Special Master to address contract language.
Matt is available to assist in a wide variety of disputes, including those related to business, contracts, business torts, real estate, probate, and fiduciary duties.
Matt has received an AV® Preeminent™ rating from Martindale Hubbell. On multiple occasions, he has been selected by other lawyers and by Georgia Trend magazine to be included in the list of “Legal Elite.” He has also been selected on multiple occasions by other lawyers and Georgia Super Lawyers magazine as a “Super Lawyer”, and previously as a “Rising Star,” in the list of Georgia Super Lawyers. Matt is a member of The Lawyers Club of Atlanta, the State Bars of Georgia and Pennsylvania, and The Atlanta Bar Association.
Matt graduated summa cum laude from Thiel College in 1998 and from Michigan State University College of Law in 2004. While in law school, Matt was a research assistant for one of his law professors. He also served as an extern for a Magistrate Judge in the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan, as well as for the Research Division of the Michigan Court of Appeals.
Matt maintains his own practice, Matt Thiry Law, LLC and is general counsel for Miles Mediation and Arbitration Services, LLC.
- Michigan State University College of Law, JD, 2004
- Thiel College, BA, 1998, summa cum laude
Admitted to Practice
- Court of Common Pleas of Pennsylvania, 2004
- Superior Court of Pennsylvania, 2004
- Commonwealth Court of Pennsylvania, 2004
- Supreme Court of Pennsylvania, 2004
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania, 2006
- All Georgia state trial courts, 2006
- Georgia Court of Appeals, 2007
- Georgia Supreme Court, 2007
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia, 2007
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2008
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Georgia, 2011
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit, 2012
Professional or Trade Affiliations
- President of The Buckhead Business Association, 2020
- The Buckhead Coalition, Ex-officio, 2020
- President-Elect of The Buckhead Business Association, 2019
- Buckhead Business Association, Board of Directors, 2018 – 2021
- Buckhead Business Association, Secretary, 2018
- State Bar of Georgia (Business Law, Alternative Dispute Resolution, Fiduciary Law and General Practice & Trial Law Sections)
- Atlanta Bar Association (Dispute Resolution, Litigation, Sole Practitioner/Small Firm Sections)
- Gwinnett County Bar Association (Estate/Probate Section)
- Lawyers Club of Atlanta
Honors and Awards
- Selected by other lawyers and by Georgia Trend magazine to be included in the list of “Legal Elite” on multiple occasions
- Selected by other lawyers and Georgia Super Lawyers magazine as a “Super Lawyer” or “Rising Star” in the list of Georgia Super Lawyers on multiple occasions.
- Avvo Rating of 10.0 “Superb”
- AV® Preeminent™ rated attorney with Martindale Hubbell