Meredith has practiced employment law in Charlotte for over two decades. She brings to the mediation table a unique skill set garnered from her diverse practice experience. She has represented employers of all sizes, including the fifth largest employer in the United States as the Charlotte practice group leader of an AmLaw 100 firm, start-up companies with less than a dozen employees at the boutique firm where she is now a partner, and employers of all sizes in between. Meredith also has voluntarily represented numerous employees in successful mediations through the Western District of North Carolina’s Pro Se Settlement Assistance Project and is a certified mediator through the Dispute Resolution Commission for the state of North Carolina.
When not mediating through Miles, she practices law as a partner at the Charlotte boutique law firm of Alexander Ricks, PLLC, where she provides clients with comprehensive transactional, counseling, training, and litigation services with respect to all aspects of the employer/employee relationship.
Meredith has significant experience both litigating, settling, and mediating all types of employment discrimination, disability law, employment law, non-competition and other restrictive covenants, human resources matters, wage and hour law, labor law, and all aspects of the employer/employee relationship, and has been recognized multiple times by Business North Carolina as amongst the Legal Elite in the area of Employment Law. Prior to joining Miles in 2020 and her law firm Alexander Ricks in 2015, Meredith practiced in the area of labor and employment law at Alston & Bird LLP and in the areas of commercial litigation and employment law at Moore & Van Allen PLLC.
In addition to her practice background, Meredith’s mediation skills are enhanced by her 8 years of teaching, counseling, advising, and dispute resolution experience gained as a law school faculty member, where she taught courses in Civil Procedure, Pre-Trial Litigation, Alternative Dispute Resolution, Employment Law, and Employment Discrimination.
- The University of Virginia School of Law, J.D., 1994
- University of Virginia, B.A, with honors, 1990
Admitted to Practice
- All North Carolina state courts
- United States District Courts for the Eastern, Middle, and Western Districts of North Carolina
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
Professional or Trade Affiliations
- Multi-year recognition in Business North Carolina magazine as one of the North Carolina Legal Elite in the area of Employment Law
- Council for Children’s Rights, Custody Advocate
- Society for Human Resources Management of Charlotte, Board of Directors
- Mecklenburg County Bar Board of Directors (2008-2011), Chair of MCB Social and Networking Committee (2012-2014), Frequent program planner and speaker for continuing legal education programs