Jim Shea mediates disputes in the Tampa Bay, Pensacola/Panhandle, and Atlanta areas. He also conducts virtual mediations throughout Florida and Georgia. Jim’s mediation practice focuses on construction, employment, insurance, business, and tort disputes.
Jim is a Florida Supreme Court Certified Circuit Civil Mediator, Certified County Court Mediator, and a Certified Mediator for the United States District Court, Middle District of Florida. He has over 30 years of litigation and dispute resolution experience, including 10 years as in-house counsel for a nationwide company. Jim uses his litigation and in-house experience to help parties identify, measure, and mitigate risk. This experience and insight enable him to creatively empower parties to resolve their disputes at mediation.
Jim has represented internal and external clients, as both plaintiffs and defendants, in a broad spectrum of practice areas including: construction (construction defect, contracts, subcontracts, Johnson v. Davis, OSHA, liens, bonds, and subrogation); employment (EEOC, Title VII, FLSA, FMLA, ADA, PAGA, retaliation, WARN, employee handbooks, contracts, non-competes, and severance); insurance (policies, coverage disputes and first party claims, including hurricane/flood/water/fire); business (MSA, SOW, SaaS, lead-gen, connectivity, affiliate sales, commercial leases, trademark, financing, unfair trade practices, claims, and risk transfer) and torts (professional negligence, negligence, and premises liability).
- Emory University School of Law, Juris Doctorate (1990)
- Boston College, Bachelor of Arts, History, (1987) cum laude
Admitted to Practice
- State Bar of Georgia (1990);
- The Florida Bar (2003);
- Alabama State Bar (2005)
- Florida Supreme Court Certified Circuit Civil Mediator (2011, 2021)
- Florida Supreme Court Approved Arbitrator Training (2018)
- Florida Supreme Court Certified County Mediator (2021)
- Alabama Dispute Resolution Center Approved Mediator (2021)
Professional or Trade Affiliations
- Florida Association of Professional Mediators (2021)
- Association of Corporate Counsel (“ACC”) (2014 – present)
- American Arbitration Association – Consumer Claims Panel Arbitrator (2021)
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance (“CLM”) (2010 – present)
- Windstorm Network