Jim Shea has over thirty years of litigation and dispute resolution experience, including the last nine years in-house, where his roles have included Chief Operating Officer, and subsequently Chief Legal Officer and Chief Risk Officer for a privately held Inc. 5000 Fastest Growing Companies from 2013-2017 and its affiliated entities. In these roles, Jim was responsible for, or oversaw, all legal and compliance functions, insurance/risk, and human resources for the sales, call center, inventory, installation, and fulfillment services in the telecommunications, fiber, construction, and consumer electronics/appliances delivery industries.
Jim is a Florida Supreme Court Certified Circuit Civil Mediator, Certified County Court Mediator, and an approved Alabama Dispute Resolution Center Mediator. Jim utilizes his unique litigation and in-house experience to help parties identify and mitigate risk. This experience and insight enables Jim to creatively empower parties to resolve their disputes at mediation.
During the course of his career, Jim’s had the benefit of representing both internal and external clients, as both plaintiffs and defendants, in a broad spectrum of practice areas including: Business (MSA, SOW, SaaS, Lead-Gen, Connectivity, Affiliate Sales, Commercial Leases, Trademark, Financing, Unfair Trade Practices, Claims & Risk Transfer) Employment (EEOC, Title VII, FLSA, FMLA, ADA, PAGA, retaliation, WARN, Employee Handbooks, Contracts, Non-Competes and Severance) Construction (Construction Defect, Contracts, Subcontracts, Johnson v Davis, OSHA, Liens, Bonds, & Subrogation) Insurance (Policies, Coverage Disputes and First Party Claims – Hurricane/Flood/Water/Fire) Torts (professional negligence, negligence, and premises liability).
- Emory University School of Law, Juris Doctorate (1990)
- Boston College, Bachelor of Arts, History, (1987) cum laude
Admitted to Practice
- State Bar of Georgia (1990);
- The Florida Bar (2003);
- Alabama State Bar (2005)
- Florida Supreme Court Certified Circuit Civil Mediator (2011, 2021)
- Florida Supreme Court Approved Arbitrator Training (2018)
- Florida Supreme Court Certified County Mediator (2021)
- Alabama Dispute Resolution Center Approved Mediator (2021)
Professional or Trade Affiliations
- Florida Association of Professional Mediators (2021)
- Association of Corporate Counsel (“ACC”) (2014 – present)
- American Arbitration Association – Consumer Claims Panel Arbitrator (2021)
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance (“CLM”) (2010 – present)
- Windstorm Network