John Austin is a veteran mediator who has been with Miles Mediation since 2014. He is a founding member of Austin & Sparks, P.C. After 37 years litigating traumatic injury and wrongful death cases, John closed his law practice at the end of 2022 to focus on mediating cases full-time.
John’s longtime focus on litigation has well-prepared him for a full-time mediation career. John has handled thousands of cases, conducted more than 75 jury trials in both state and federal courts, presented oral arguments in hundreds of cases at the trial court level, and presented oral arguments before the Georgia Supreme Court, the Georgia Court of Appeals, and the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals. Although John’s practice emphasized the handling of motor carrier and governmental entity cases, he also has considerable experience in handling automobile, product liability, property damage, premises liability, and insurance coverage cases.
John is also an AV® preeminent rated attorney by Martindale Hubble and is a registered civil mediator with the Georgia Office of Dispute Resolution. John recognizes that at its heart, mediation is about connecting with people, listening to them, making them feel heard, and resolving the issues involved. His experience, along with his positive yet professional approach, gives him the ability to resolve any type of personal injury case from the routine to the complex.
John spends his free time with his wife of 34 years, his two sons, and his grandson. He enjoys golfing and “wagging” (walking and jogging), particularly in the north Georgia mountains where he and his family have a home and spend their weekends.
- Georgia Southern College, 1978 (President of Fraternity)
- Georgia State College of Law, 1985 (Legislation Editor, Georgia State University Law Review)
Admitted to Practice
- Georgia Supreme Court, 1985
- Georgia Court of Appeals, 1985
- Georgia Superior and State Courts, 1985
- Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals, 1985
- US District Court for the Northern District of Georgia, 1985
- US District Court for the Middle District of Georgia, 1985
- US District Court for the Southern District of Georgia, 2012
Professional or Trade Affiliations
- Georgia Office of Dispute Resolution
- State Bar of Georgia
- Atlanta Bar Association (Member of Litigation Section and Member of ADR Section)
Honors and Awards
- AV® preeminent rated attorney by Martindale Hubble