Barry L. Howard
Barry Howard has been mediating cases since 2007 and has been a full-time mediator and arbitrator for the last four years. Barry has mediated personal injury, professional liability, medical malpractice, civil rights, employment disputes, construction defects and injury, wrongful death, and commercial disputes. Commercial dispute cases include multi-million-dollar equipment lease cases, breach of contract, transportation contracts, financial institution consumer transaction disputes, and mortgage/wrongful foreclosure cases.
Barry also mediates professional liability cases, including attorney malpractice, real estate agent errors and omissions (“E&O”), insurance agent E&O, and accountant professional liability. He has mediated more than 2,200 cases in person and more than 200 virtual mediations using Zoom.
Prior to joining Miles Mediation, Barry was one of the founding partners of Nashville-based Howard, Tate, Sowell, Wilson, Leathers & Johnson, where he primarily defended product liability, professional liability, construction, and commercial cases. Before that, he was an associate and then partner at Gracey, Maddin, Cowan, and Bird.
- University of Tennessee College of Law, 1977
- University of Tennessee, Knoxville, 1975 – Major: Accounting; Minor: Finance
Admitted to Practice
- Tennessee Supreme Court 1978
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Tennessee 1978
- United States 6th Circuit Court of Appeals, 1979
- Tennessee Supreme Court Rule 31 listed civil mediator, 2007
- United States District Court for the Eastern and Western Districts of Tennessee
Professional or Trade Affiliations
- National Academy of Distinguished Neutrals
- Tennessee Association of Professional Mediators
- Nashville Bar Association
- Nashville Bar Foundation
- Tennessee Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute (past member)
- Tennessee Defense Lawyers (past member)
- International Association of Defense Counsel, IADC, (past member)
Honors and Awards
- Best of the Bar, 2013, Nashville Business Journal
- Listed as SuperLawyer multiple years