Prior to joining Miles Mediation this year, Barry Howard was one of the founding partners of Howard, Tate, Sowell, Wilson, Leathers & Johnson, which was established in 1987. Before that, he was an associate and then partner in the Nashville firm of Gracey, Maddin, Cowan, and Bird. At Howard, Tate, Sowell, Wilson, Leathers & Johnson, Mr. Howard focused on defending civil cases primarily in the area of product liability, professional liability, construction, and commercial. In 2007, he started mediating cases, and approximately 4 years ago, limited his practice to mediation.
As a mediator, Barry has mediated personal injury, professional liability, medical malpractice, civil rights, employment disputes, construction defects and injury, wrongful death, and commercial disputes. The commercial disputes include multi-million dollar equipment lease cases, breach of contract, transportation contracts, financial institution consumer transaction disputes, and mortgage/wrongful foreclosure cases.
Professional liability mediations have been conducted in the fields of attorney malpractice, real estate agent E&O, insurance agent E&O, and accountant professional liability.
Since establishing his mediation practice, Barry has mediated over 2,200 cases. He is also proficient in video mediations having conducted over 200 mediations utilizing Zoom.
- University of Tennessee College of Law, 1977
- University of Tennessee, Knoxville, 1975 – Major: Accounting; Minor: Finance
Admitted to Practice
- Tennessee Supreme Court 1978
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Tennessee 1978
- United States 6th Circuit Court of Appeals, 1979
- Tennessee Supreme Court Rule 31 listed civil mediator, 2007
- United States District Court for the Eastern and Western Districts of Tennessee
Professional or Trade Affiliations
- National Academy of Distinguished Neutrals
- Tennessee Association of Professional Mediators
- Nashville Bar Association
- Nashville Bar Foundation
- Tennessee Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute (past member)
- Tennessee Defense Lawyers (past member)
- International Association of Defense Counsel, IADC, (past member)
Honors and Awards
- Best of the Bar, 2013, Nashville Business Journal
- Listed as SuperLawyer multiple years