Before devoting himself to dispute resolution full-time in 2019, Steve practiced employment law in Charlotte for over 20 years. His practice included FLSA, wage and hour, trade secrets, non-competes, and all forms of employment discrimination. Representing diverse clients from individual executives to Fortune 500 companies, Steve worked in industries including financial services, education, manufacturing, technology, construction, marketing, retail, and motorsports. Through his representation of cities, counties, and public colleges, Steve developed an appreciation of the unique needs of public sector clients, including the First Amendment, public records, and constitutional torts.
After becoming a certified mediator in 2009, Steve quickly realized that dispute resolution ideally suited his experience and ability. He became a full-time mediator in 2019 and soon linked up with Miles Mediation & Arbitration to assist in opening the Charlotte office in 2020.
As a mediator, Steve is persistent and engaged, tirelessly advocating for resolution before, during, and after the mediation. A student of dispute resolution, Steve has written and presented on motivational techniques, practical strategies for lawyers, and the psychology of change.
- Duke University 1995
- UNC-Law 1998
Admitted to Practice
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals
- North Carolina State and Federal Courts
Professional or Trade Affiliations
- North Carolina Chapter of the National Academy of Distinguished Neutrals Member, 2021
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Mecklenburg County Bar Association
- NCBA Dispute Resolution Section Council
Honors and Awards
- Business North Carolina Legal Elite – Labor and Employment
- Chambers and Partners – Labor and Employment
- Super Lawyers
- Best Lawyers “Lawyer of the Year”